Root Canal Treatment in Adelaide
Has your tooth sustained damage as a result of untreated decay or another complication? Are you concerned that your tooth might need to be removed? At Burnside Dental Practice, we can save your tooth from removal. Our dentists may be able to perform a root canal treatment in Adelaide to save the affected tooth from extraction and preserve it for many more years to come. You can rely on our dentists to provide a professional service while keeping the root canal treatment cost as low as possible.
What is Root Canal Treatment?
A root canal falls under the umbrella of our endodontic solutions in Adelaide. It involves disinfecting the dead or infected pulp tissue and replacing it with a synthetic filling. This not only saves the tooth and prolongs its lifespan, but also prevents infections that can lead to the formation of a painful abscess and swelling.
When do you need a Root canal Treatment?
The causes that lead to a root canal being required include decay, trauma or sometimes a crack in the tooth. When a tooth has a very large cavity or a crack, the decay can reach the pulp chamber which consists of nerves and blood vessels, resulting in pain and infection. Trauma to the tooth is the other most common reason, where a fall or injury can tooth expose the pulp chamber and nerve of the tooth. In both of these cases, the nerve must be removed by an endodontist in Adelaide in order to save the tooth.
Damage to the dental pulp can be caused by:
- Dental decay
- A crack in a tooth communicating with the pulp chamber
- Persistent tooth grinding while sleeping
- Periodontal disease
- Physical trauma to the tooth
Signs and symptoms of damaged or exposed dental pulp include:
- Spontaneous tooth pain
- Throbbing tooth pain which will wake you up at night
- Extreme sensitivity to hot and cold foods
- Inability to chew or put any pressure on the tooth
- Swelling Around the tooth and Gums
- Loosening of teeth
A root canal in Adelaide can rescue the tooth and alleviate these symptoms.
Why Does the Pulp Need to Be Removed?
The infected Dental pulp, poses the risk of turning into a painful dental abscess, if left untreated the infection can spread across the entire face and body. There are situations, where the abscess can cause severe facial swelling and result in a medical emergency.
The Root Canal Procedure
The root canal procedure involves a number of steps to remove the infected dental pulp and restore the tooth:
- Local anaesthetic is administered near the infected tooth to numb the tooth and remove any painful during the procedure
- Once the anaesthetic has taken effect, the dentist will drill into the tooth to make a small opening and expose the damaged pulp. They will then use some special instruments to remove all dead pulp tissue from the root canal space. The canals in the tooth will be cleaned and disinfected.
- An antibiotic dressing is placed within the tooth to treat the infection.
- The tooth is then filled and sealed with a special rubber-like material.
- Other endodontic solutions in Adelaide may be used. For instance, a permanent crown may be placed on the tooth to provide further protection.
Does the treatment hurt?
Root canal therapy has had a reputation for being painful and traumatic, but this is largely a myth. The pain that’s experienced is caused by the infection and not the treatment. We apply an anaesthetic to numb the affected area, which reduces discomfort during the procedure. We do our best to make you feel as comfortable as possible so that you can receive the care you need.
How Much Does a Root Canal Treatment Cost?
Our root canal cost in Adelaide depends on the amount of restorative work required and the type of tooth that’s infected. Molars generally cost more than incisors because they are bigger teeth with more canals and more complex anatomical root canal system. You can discuss your circumstances with our endodontist in Adelaide who will determine what works needs to be done so an endodontic treatment cost estimate can be provided.
Make a Booking Today
If you need a root canal in Adelaide, make an appointment with Burnside Dental Practice today. Get in touch with us by calling (08) 8311 2581 or submitting an online enquiry. We’ll do our best to answer any questions you have about our root canal treatment in Adelaide, including the root canal treatment cost.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.